Prairie Fire Beans
- 1 lb. dry Pinto or Great White Northern Beans
- 7 Cups Cold Water
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 smoked Ham Hocks
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 14 oz. cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes, diced
- Night Before: Rinse beans thoroughly. Place in a large bowl with soda and cover with water. Soak overnight.
- Next Morning: Rinse beans and drain any remaining water. Place beans in 4-6 qt. crock pot. Lightly brown ground beef in skillet on stove. Add onions and cook until softened. Place on top of beans with remaining ingredients. Add enough water to cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- To serve: Remove ham hocks and pull meat from bones; return to beans. Serve beans with cornbread or tortilla chips.
If you are using plain tomatoes, add a 4 oz. can of Chile Peppers, a 4 oz. bottle of Taco Sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon each of dried Oregano and Cumin.
Copyright © 2015 by ShallWeEat™, All rights reserved