This recipe is from my mother-in-law Joyce Livingston. As a host of a local women's TV program, she published this in her 1976 book called Our Family Favorites Cook Book. I have made a few revisions to the filling so it is less sweet than the original and using whole versus cut berries to keep the pie more firm and pretty.
- 1 pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. Strawberry Jello
- 1 Pint. whole Strawberries
- Place sugar, cornstarch, and salt in small saucepan and blend together well. Add water and whisk until smooth. Place saucepan over medium high heat and bring to boil. Stir until dissolved. Cook, whisking constantly, until clear and thick. Add jello and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Wash and dry berries. Trim stem off top.
- Place berries, stem down into pie shell. Fill entire shell and pack berries in tightly.
- Pour gelee over berries.
- Chill 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream.