Cream of Cilantro Soup
This was my blue-ribbon winning recipe for the 2000 Wichita Eagle Holiday Cookbook.
- ½ Cup Butter
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 Cup Onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 Celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. Cumin
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, coarsely chopped
- ½ Cup Flour
- 4 – 14.5 oz. cans Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- 2 Cups Cream
- 1 Cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in 4 qt. saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Chop ¼ cup cilantro and reserve. Add rest of bunch of cilantro, stems and all, the onion, celery, cumin, garlic, and jalapeños to pot. Cook, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour, and cook mixture stirring constantly, 7 minutes or until mixture is golden brown.
- Add chicken broth, stirring rapidly until blended; add bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Pour through a wire strainer; discard vegetables.
- Stir in pepper and cream; cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and remaining cilantro.
Copyright © 2015 by ShallWeEat™, All rights reserved