Chicken and Dumplings
This is my absolute favorite comfort dish!
- 3 – 4 lb. Chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 1 Onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 Celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2/3 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Flour
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- Place chicken, onion, and celery into large stock pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook until done, approximately 1 hour. Cool.
- Remove chicken from broth; strain broth and discard vegetables. Remove meat from bones and tear into bite-size pieces. Discard skin and bones. Place chicken into strained broth.
- Bring chicken and broth to boil. Combine flour and water in a screw-top jar. Shake to dissolve flour. Stir into broth to thicken.
- While broth is heating, mix up dumpling batter. Stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Combine milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just till combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls into boiling broth. Reduce heat to simmer. Put lid on pot and simmer 15 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID.
- Serve a dumpling, some chicken and broth in a bowl.
You may add more vegetables like diced celery, carrots and/or peas with the dumplings.
Copyright © 2015 by ShallWeEat™, All rights reserved