Candied Orange Peels
Use these as candy just straight in your mouth. Or they are great minced up and added to chocolate chip cookie recipes. Or dip them in chocolate and give as gifts.
- 6 thick-skinned Valencia or navel oranges
- 4 1/2 Cups Sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- Cut tops and bottoms off of the orange and score the orange into quarters, cutting down only into the peel and not into the fruit. Peel the skin and pith of ht orange in large pieces, use the orange for another recipe. Cut the peel into strips about 1/4" wide. Put the orange peels in a large saucepan with cold water to cover, bring to a boil over high heat. Then pour off the water. Repeat one more time. Remove the peels from the pan.
- I like to use a large skillet for this to spread out the batch. Whisk the sugar and water together. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8-9 minutes till it reaches 230-234 degrees (soft thread stage). Add the peels and simmer gently, reducing heat to retain a simmer. Cook until the peels get translucent, about 45 minutes. Resist the urge to stir or you will get a ton of crystals all over the wall of your pan, just swirl it if you must monkey around with it.
- Drain the peels, save the syrup for cocktails or iced tea. Roll the peels in sugar and dry on a rack for 4-5 hours. Return to the sugar to store.
Copyright © 2015 by ShallWeEat™, All rights reserved