This is an easy old weeknight recipe that I got out of the local newspaper probably 30 years ago. It's super fast and really easy to adjust to what you have on hand. I frequently add some dried or fresh mushrooms, cilantro, or thai chiles. You can sub pork, beef, or tofu for the chicken and crazily fresh green beans can sub for the broccoli.
- 1/4 Cup Almonds
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1 Chicken breast, skinned and cubed
- 1 head Broccoli, broken into florets
- 2 Tbsp. Green Onions
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp. & 1 tsp. Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. Salt, Garlic, & Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Water Chestnuts
- Brown almonds in dry skillet. Remove nuts and melt half of the butter. Add chicken and stir-fry until almost done. Reserve in another dish and melt remaining butter. Stir fry broccoli til tender crisp. Add onions. Stir cornstarch into broth and add to pan with seasonings. Stir until thickened. Return chicken and almonds to broth along with water chestnuts.
- Heat through and serve over rice.